At the beginning of the twenty-first century, the50 years review of both the development aid and fight against poverty is more than limited. Hundreds of billions of dollars have been spent, not for nothing but for a few: concerning agriculture, health, urban migration or training, some battles have indeed been won, but a lot have also been lost… Challenges remain massive and even frightening. Is it not time to change perspective?
If the development aid challenge was not the fight against poverty, but against vulnerability of the population majority?
In Southern countries, 5% to 10% of the population has an effective protection against life delivers which are released from the State or from the global market. For the other 90%, life is a risk. Poverty disarms people responding to life risks. The incapacity handling future is the consequence of anxieties and daily concerns phenomena, less covered by the media but as devastating as the natural disasters, famine and wars. The poor are dispossessed of their future. The development central stake is that they become the main actor of their own life.
At the sight of this situation, associate fellows at the Thomas More Institute, specialized in insurance and microinsurance, thought an “insurance new model” applicable to the developing countries and to disadvantages populations which cannot subscribe to a “regular” insurance. These considerations, thought since years, gave rise to several publications and interventions which represent an intellectual corpus of foreground resources.
You will find on this page, the essential of these works:
Article about the Thomas More Institute/ CKS Report 150 billion, to what end? 10 actions (...)
Participation of Jean-Sylvestre MONGRENIER, Research Fellow at the Thomas More (...)
Participation of Jean-Thomas LESUEUR, CEO of the Thomas More Institute | Radio Show Du (...)
By Jean-Thomas LESUEUR, CEO of the Thomas More Institute | Published in L'Expansion, (...)
Today is the "Day of Europe" but have the Europeans even the idea of what constitutes their common identity?
Interview with Jakob HÖBER, Research Fellow at the Thomas More Institute | Atlantico, (...)